New Sunscreen study: Damned it you do, damned if you don’t!
It’s that time of year again: The sun is coming out, the guns are most certainly out, and we’re left wondering whether sunscreen is our best approach to stay safe in the heat.
A new study published in JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) suggests that various ingredients in popular sunscreens actually get absorbed by the body, rather than just sitting on the skin as we often assumed was the case, and enter our bloodstream.
Check out the full study here: (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2733085?guestAccessKey=e1ad4492-fe70-4f53-970d-d63bfa1cdccd&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=05062019).
Though the consequences of this absorption aren’t totally clear, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) found the levels in the study were higher than what is considered safe—as much as 40 times as high as the threshold amount, according to the JAMA study.
Some of the major culprits included the following ingredients in various sunscreens: avobenzone, oxybenzone, octocrylene and ecamsule.
But then there’s the flipside of no sunscreen: Cancer!????
The chemicals in sunscreen are there to help guard against skin cancer, which is on the rise. In fact, between 2009 and 2019, the number of new melanoma cases diagnosed have increased by 54 percent each year. In 2019, it is estimated that 7,230 people will die from skin cancer.
So what’s it going to be? Chemicals in your blood, which for all we know cause cancer, or a higher risk of skin cancer?
One solution is perhaps to buy a mineral sunscreen. Often they still have chemicals, but not the chemicals in question from the recent JAMA study and others.
Check this out: The Environmental Working Group (EWG) actually releases an annual sunscreen guide with a ton of valuable information for selecting a safer sunscreen: (https://www.thefashionspot.com/beauty/792143-safest-sunscreens-2018/#/slide/1).
Some of the ‘better sunscreens’ include:
• All Good Sunstick, Unscented, SPF 30
• Aromatica Calendula Non-Nano UV Protection, SPF 30
• Attitude 100% Mineral Sunscreen, Fragrance Free, SPF 30
• Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Lotion Sunscreen, Sensitive Skin, SPF 50
• Badger Sunscreen Cream, Unscented, SPF 30
• Goddess Garden Organics Everyday Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
• Just Skin Food Natural & Organic Sunscreen, SPF 30
• Kabana Organic Skincare Green Screen Sunscreen, Neutral, SPF 31
• Poofy Organics The Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
• Sunology Mineral Sunscreen, Body, SPF 50
• Sunology Natural Sunscreen, Face, SPF 50
• Thinksport Sunscreen, SPF 50+
• Waxhead Sun Defense Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
• Zeb’s Organics Sunscreen, SPF 20 & 30